Monday, January 10, 2005

Pièce d’ Orgue (BWV 572) [4103]

So tonight I am skipping around again, having just finished my syllabus for this semester. I dabbled with some choral settings, but settled on a familiar piece, the Fantasia in G Major for organ.

Bach was working in Weimar when he wrote this. Forkel wrote of him:

"Johann Sebastian Bach was now 32 years old, had made good use of his time, studied, played and composed so much up to this period, and gained such a command of the art through constant hard work and dedication that he stood there like a giant and could tread everything around him into the dust."


This composition literally helped me write my dissertation. I purchased this very CD player to use in the Troy Public Library, a block away from my high school. I wrote on a laptop during the day, and fell in love with Bach's organ music. Unlike works with vocals, these compositions helped to order my thinking and propel me forward as I wrote.

The artist on the Hanssler collection is Andrea Marcon. I'm not crazy about his version. I listened again to my favorite, by Peit Kee on the St. Bavo organ in Haarlem. What a fantastic performance and recording.

SR

No comments: