Saturday, January 01, 2005

BWV Anh. 113, 114 & 115, 183 [4137]

Some of my favorite pieces in AMB aren't by JSB at all. I love the famous Menuets in G-Maj/g-min (they were the first piano pieces I learned, and a facsimilie of them in AMB's hand hang above my piano).

Mr. Behringer is quite a harpsichordist. I love these versions. His playing is extremely clean, bouncy--seems trite to say effervescent for harpsichord, but it fits. He also switches manuals very tastfully, and his ornaments are gorgeous. I love this recording.

But I'd still like to wander into the control room and dial back the 'verb.



Michael Behringer, harpsichord

The engineer has done something clever with 114 & 115, however. The pieces are supposed to be played together, in alternation. They are separate tracks, but Behringer really plays them as a unit. Not difficult to do from a recording standpoint, but knowing to do it is impressive.

SR

No comments: