Friday, December 31, 2004

Bach Arrives at My House

If Johann Sebastian Bach were to travel to my house to give me music lessons, he probably would not be very happy. He'd hate my piano (though, unlike many Bach enthusiasts, I think there are modern pianos that he'd like) and he would detest my organ. But he'd also probably tell me to get to work on what I had.

Well, Bach arrived today. The TTV 2000 GmbH set arrived during the day. Sadly, a few of the CD jewel cases were damaged, but my plans accomodate this. I have transferred the entire set to a large nylon CD wallet; the wallet cost $14.00 and holds 224 CDs. With the track listings inserted, the wallet was nearly the perfect size.

The other disappointment is the liner notes; they are all on CD-ROM, in .pdf format, which is fine. The libretti and individual notes are in English, but the series introduction (which looks very well done) is only in German. Fortunately, I have lots of good info about Bach and his life, specifically Wolff's J.S. Bach: The Learned Musician, and The New Bach Reader.



TTV 2000 GmbH 171 CD set

So, Willkommen, Capellmeister Bach, to Grand Blanc, Michigan. You've arrived just in time for the New Year!

SR

No comments: